Josh Duggar, Charged with Child Pornography Offenses, Asks Judge to Publish Him to His Wife and Six Children
Former conservative activist and”19 Children and Counting” star Josh Duggar, who was indicted last week on child pornography offenses, asked a federal judge on Tuesday to send him back home to his wife and five children.
“Duggar is requesting this court allow him to come back home to his immediate family during the pendency of the case,” Duggar’s attorney Justin K. Gelfand composed in a nine-page short. “The residents of the home are his wife (who is pregnant) and their six children.”
Chief U.S. Magistrate Judge Erin Wiedemann said during a hearing on Friday that when she did launch Duggar, she’d probably want a third-party custodian in light of these charges against him.
His defense team proposed an alternative arrangement according to the judge’s comments.
“At the alternative and consistent with all Chief Judge Wiedemann’s request at arraignment, Duggar has provided this Court’s Office of Pretrial Services that the name and contact data of a third-party custodian with whom Duggar could reside,” the brief continues. “No small children reside in that home. It is the defense’s understanding the Office of Pretrial Services has explored this potential in lieu of detention. Regardless of where he resides, Duggar is committed to abide by any conditions of release created by this court.”
The judge will listen to the prosecution’s move to keep the 33-year-old reality TV star behind bars in a detention hearing schedule on Wednesday afternoon.
Duggar’s lawyers noted that the case against their client started in November 2019, when Homeland Security Investigations executed a search on a car dealership their client worked.
The defense brief cites the 17-month passing of time since then to assert for Duggar’s launch.
“Ever since then, Duggar, his wife, along with his six children have continued to reside in the Western District of Arkansas and, by legal counsel, Duggar has kept an open conversation with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in connection with the evaluation,” the brief states. “The authorities allowed Duggar to self-surrender in contact with this situation and he complied exactly as directed–underscoring his dedication to meet these charges and to accept and abide by any conditions of release set by this court.”
In the spring of 2015, Duggar surfaced after reports emerged telling him of molesting four of his sisters along with a babysitter.
“Twelve years ago, as a young adolescent, I acted inexcusably for which I am extremely sorry and deeply regret. I hurt others, like my loved ones and close friends,” Duggar told People magazine in May 2015, in a statement thin on details of his behavior. “I admitted this to my parents, that required several measures to help me tackle the situation.”
USA Today reported later that year that Duggar touched several girls’ breasts and genitals, frequently while they slept.
Josh Duggar’s lawyers say that prosecutors do not allege any molestation.
“Indeed, whilst child porn crimes are definitely serious, the indictment surely doesn’t allege that Duggar personally interacted with one child and the Government will be hard-pressed to identify the way that conditions of release set by this Court wouldn’t shield the community from criminal conduct,” their states. “Rather, this Court must conclude that the Government’s choice to not even charge Duggar until 17 months after implementing the search–17 months through which Duggar fully complied with the law, maintained that an open dialogue with the Government through authorized counsel, also continued to encourage his family through legal employment–unambiguously shows that Duggar introduces no danger of flight or danger to the community.”
The government’s composed filings have not been made public by press time. The detention hearing has been scheduled for May 5 at 1:30 p.m. Central Time.
Have a trick we need to know?