Biden’s Reversal of Trump’s DOJ Funding Denial for Sanctuary Cities Nets Over $30 Million to New York
President Joe Biden addresses a joint session of Congress, Together with Vice President Kamala Harris and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.)
President Joe Biden’s decision to undo Donald Trump’s denial of Department of Justice grants to sanctuary authorities means New York will receive more than $30 million to public security, the nation’s Attorney General Letitia James (D) announced on Tuesday.
“Public security and our capacity to protect our communities should never be jeopardized by politics,” James wrote in a statement.
The Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant program, known as Byrne JAG funds for short, was called after late New York City Police Officer Eddie Byrne, who had been assassinated in the line of duty 1988.
Trump’s Justice Department refused around $385 million in those grants to sanctuary authorities, the states and cities opting to restrict local collaboration with federal government on immigration.
Even the Empire State–together with Connecticut, New Jersey, Washington, Massachusetts, Virginia and Rhode Island–challenged that policy from the courts, with mixed success.
Despite winning the trial level, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit let Trump’s Justice Department to move forward with this limitation.
Trump reversed the Second Circuit conservative having an appointment at late 2019.
The circuit divided had spelled a Supreme Court battle, before the high court dropped the situation in the Biden administration’s request.
“For years, the Byrne JAG grant application has been a crucial source of federal funds for our efforts to protect New Yorkers, that explains why the former president attempts to maintain these grant funds hostage was so unconscionable,” James wrote. “We are happy that the Biden government has eliminated the immigration-related requirements, and that New York can now access the more than $30 million of grant funds which have stood in limbo throughout the last four years. This activity will ensure that states and localities don’t need to choose between protecting their autonomy and protecting security.”
On Monday, the Biden government signaled plans to undo other Trump-era immigration policies and said that undertaking would be more difficult.
“The sad fact is that we will not achieve 62,500 admissions this season. We are working fast to undo the harm of the last four years,” the president said in a statement. “It will take a while, but that work is currently underway. We’ve reopened the program to new refugees. And by changing the regional allocations this past month, we’ve already increased the amount of refugees prepared for departure to the USA.”
That decision followed criticism within his party–including Senate Judiciary Chair Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) –roughly projections which Biden is on track toward acknowledging fewer refugees within his first year than any other president. Biden quickly announced plans to raise the cap after that criticism.
Biden’s Department of Homeland Security announced that the Family Reunification Task Force that he empaneled has started the job of reuniting the first group of families. The task force’s first report is slated to be released on June 2.
(Melina Mara/The Washington Post via Getty)
Have a suggestion we should know? [email protected]